Raised storage platforms may be designed as uninterrupted floor area or aisles (catwalks) located between and/or surrounding various types of storage systems.
Mezzanines are typically described as structural (longspan), pallet rack or shelving supported or bin-on-bin (stacked or hi-rise shelving units joined by catwalks).
- Any facility where the building’s elevated area might otherwise remain unused.
- An above-ground workspace, office or storage area.
- Reclaim area that is otherwise wasted to maximize space.
- Expand facility without increasing footprint.
Characteristics of Mezzanines
- Build additional storage capacity without the need for forklifts.
- Can utilize storage system to support the level above.
- Create platform to facilitate manual picking operation.
- If structure’s unique, it may have limited salvage value.
- Manual order selector access to facilitate picking.
- May require lighting and/or sprinkler installation.
- May require permit from local licensing authority
- Must be engineered to ensure safety and building code conformance.
- Not easily relocated.