Your Material Handling Equipment Guide
One of the keys to ensuring your business grows steadily is to equip your warehouse with everything it needs. If you have the proper equipment, your team will be able to work faster without putting their safety or your merchandise at risk. Here’s what you need to know about outfitting a new warehouse.
Choosing the right storage system is paramount. This is because different types of systems are designed for various kinds of merchandise. Here are a few examples:
- Pallet racking should be used for inventory stored on pallets.
- Industrial shelving is best for inventory that’s stacked by hand.
- Cantilever racking is the right option for items that don’t fit on pallets.
- Flow racking should be used for high-density storage with only a few types of products. (Comes in pallet or hand-stacking variants.)
Purchasing the wrong type of shelving will result in inefficiencies and can harm your business’ growth.
Almost all warehouses need utility vehicles, be it a single pallet jack or a fleet of forklifts and personnel carriers. For facilities that primarily or solely deal with hand-stacked merchandise, stockchasers and pick carts may be sufficient.
It’s important to note that new warehouse operators may want to rent their vehicles rather than buying them outright. Renting will allow a company to determine which kind of vehicles best meets their needs.
While your storage and material handling solutions are crucial, there are other things you’ll need to consider when equipping your warehouse, including the following:
- Shipping equipment. If you do your own shipping, you’ll need to be properly equipped, otherwise this step can bottleneck your business’ productivity.
- Dock equipment. This includes plates and boards, which are required to safely receive materials and products. Dock door seals are also crucial for any warehouse operating in areas that get cold and wet during the winter.
- Facility accessories. Your employees should have everything they need to efficiently perform their duties. Rolling ladders and catwalks, for instance, will improve accessibility to merchandise and reduce foot traffic in potentially dangerous areas.
Your Forklift and Warehouse Equipment Experts
Whether your company needs a rental or new shelving, ARPAC is here to help. We carry a range of forklifts and other utility vehicles as well as a wide selection of new and used racking. We proudly serve businesses with locations in Vancouver, Calgary, Lethbridge and Edmonton. Contact us today to find out how we can help your business grow.