Skip to content
Home / Blog / The Multiple Steps to Acquiring Pallet Racking Permit Applications


The Multiple Steps to Acquiring Pallet Racking Permit Applications

If you are planning on installing Pallet Racking, or simply adding to your existing pallet rack system, chances are you will need a Tenant Improvement Permit.  Permits are required to ensure you are meeting the current safety standards.  While the permit application process can be daunting, there are companies such as ARPAC that are set up to manage the process and help you ensure compliance to avoid problems when the WorkSafeBC inspector stops by.  Here’s a step by step description of what you need to know.

  • Designing your System:

Even the most capable warehouse managers could use the help of a Design & Engineering team when laying out their Racking System, and a company like ARPAC is up to the task.  They will work with you on loading requirements, site plans complete with property dimensions, building location and off-street loading layouts which should include existing and proposed parking with location of road access to the property.  If you are leasing space, the original building plans may typically be obtained from your municipalities through Building Department microfilm service, but remember written permission from the property owner is required to obtain copies of plans from microfilm.

  • Are you authorized to install racking in your leased or rented building?

Make sure you have a discussion with the property owner and have them complete an Owners Authorization form, this is likely required by your city for you to install racking in a leased or rented property. This form authorizes an agent to represent you in all matters relating to the development planning application including applying for a building permit and completion of the project within your city. If you are the owner, go straight to step 3.

  • What’s your Soil Site Class?

Since January 2007, a soils Site Class is required for the design of structures per the BC Building Code. If you don’t have this information further soils engineering will likely be required to determine the Site Class. Geotechnical engineers charge for this service and pricing depends on complexity.

  • Is your Slab Certified?

A slab certification letter may be required by the building department to complete the building permit application.  You will need to provide the loading criteria to the slab designer to obtain approval for the proposed loads.  If you cannot get a Slab Certification Letter, companies such as ARPAC can provide one through their Engineering Department for a fee.

  • Do your proposed changes meet the Fire Code?

As pallet racking may increase the height and density of storage, a “Fire Code Review” by a Fire Code Consultant will likely be required by the municipality. This review is to confirm that the sprinkler system design in use is adequate for the commodity classification of goods you store in the building.

  • Do you need a Code Consultant?

If you are planning a major change to your warehouse or rack system you should consider retaining a code consultant. They would be responsible for ensuring your compliance with access and egress to your building as well as the fire code. Note when you apply for a permit, associated building inspections may occur such as electrical, plumbing and/or the Fire Marshall.

ARPAC Innovative Material Handling Solutions

If you still have questions about the permit application process or need the documents necessary for your application, contact the professionals at ARPAC. With over 40 years industry experience we have the knowledge and capabilities to assist in the permit application process. Visit our  Permit Application Process support page, or call us today!